Harvest Corn Chowder – yum!
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 6 to 8 large ears) or frozen kernels, thawed, patted dry (about 2 pounds frozen), divided
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces smoked Spanish chorizo,* cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 pound (about 3 medium) unpeeled red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon (scant) cayenne pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- Fresh thyme sprigs (for garnish)
Blend 3 cups corn kernels and 1 1/2 cups broth in processor to coarse puree. Transfer to large bowl. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to small bowl.
Add onion and remaining 3 cups corn kernels to same skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté over medium-high heat until onion begins to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stir until potatoes begin to soften, about 2 minutes (corn may begin to brown slightly). Transfer corn mixture to large pot. Add dried thyme, cayenne, reserved pureed corn mixture, and remaining 2 1/2 cups broth to pot. Bring just to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add half and half and chorizo. Simmer uncovered until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes longer to thicken, if desired.
Baked Potato Soup
- 12 slices bacon
- 2/3 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 cups milk
- 4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, quartered and cored
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 large leek, pale green and white parts only, halved lengthwise, sliced and washed thoroughly
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2/3 cup crumbled Stilton or other blue-veined cheese
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 40 to 55 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Place half the vegetables and 2 cups broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the remaining vegetables and 2 cups broth. Add to the pan and stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cook the soup over medium-low heat, stirring, until hot, about 10 minutes. Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with cheese and chives (or scallion greens).